The student news source of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse

The Racquet Press

The Racquet Press

The Racquet Press

UWL Women’s Lacrosse plays for WIAC title and spot in NCAA tournament

John Gaynor
Grace Willmott rushes the ball upfield.

The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Women’s Lacrosse Team has wrapped up their regular season games with a win Wednesday night. The Eagles celebrate the end of another season full of successes starting back in February.

When it comes to Women’s Lacrosse, the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WIAC) looks slightly irregular compared to the other participating schools. Along with what WIAC has titled “full time members” like UWL, UW-Stevens Point, UW-Eau Claire, UW-Stout and UW-River Falls, the WIAC for Women’s Lacrosse also includes the “affiliate schools” of the Colorado College Tigers and the Southwestern University Pirates. 

Currently, the team has a record of 11 wins and five losses overall, with four wins and two losses specifically in in-conference play. On the road, the Eagles have been strong with six wins and two losses, while at home they’ve won five games.  

Their 2024 campaign started off hot, with a win streak of four games. Since, the Eagles have traded games with opponents, having a record of seven wins and five losses for a .583-win percentage since the four-game win streak, amassing to a 0.687-win percentage to conclude the season.   

The Eagles recently took a road trip down to Georgetown, Texas to play two matches. One matchup put the Eagles against the Pirates and the other against the Tigers. The matches resulted in a .500 split, with UWL first winning against the Pirates 15-5 on April 12, but then falling to the Tigers 21-6 on the following day. The road trip concluded by being outscored by their opponents, with 21 total points scored compared to 27 by their in-conference rivals.  

The Eagles defeated the Blugolds of UW-Eau Claire on home turf with a score of 13-12 this Wednesday, ending their season on a win streak of two games. The first win in the Eagles’ late surge for second place in the WIAC came after the Eagles defeated the reigning WIAC Champions in the UW-River Falls Falcons. The Eagles took on the Falcons just a few days prior and were defeated 16-12, but redemption came quick. On the road on Saturday, the Eagles got back in the win column and defeated the Falcons 14-12.  

The Eagles are currently third in the WIAC standings, with no games remaining in the season. For the Eagles, the best-case scenario has already been set into motion. With the Eagles defeating the Blugolds on Wednesday, losses for both Colorado College and UW-River Falls could potentially. push the Eagles into second place in the WIAC standings. The Eagles are at a disadvantage at this point in the season, because the Falcons and the Pirates both have two games remaining in their seasons.  

One of the remaining matchups for the Pirates and Falcons is against each other, putting the Eagles out of contention for first place in the WIAC. This keeps the Eagles in the battle for second but with a loss from UW-River Falls on Friday, the Eagles will be forced to settle for third.   

Head Coach Alexandra Robinson is serving her first year as head coach, after being the team’s assistant coach during the 2023 season. Second-year Anna Jenson believes Coach Robinson has had a positive impact upon the team’s success and is leading the Eagles towards a bright future. “They support us a ton and keep encouraging us to put our best foot forward,” said Jenson.   

Goalie Stefania Rossi believes the team’s chemistry has been a significant factor in winning close matchups while still maintaining healthy friendships. “Everyone wants the same thing and we’re basically family. We still can push each other to be better every day but have fun with it,” said Rossi.  

To conclude their season, the Eagles will participate in the WIAC Tournament on May 3-4.  “We’re looking forward to turning some heads in the conference tournament next week,” said Student Assistant Coach Truett Wilson.  

The Eagles will play on Friday, May 3 at 5 p.m. or 7:30 p.m. depending on the final standings. With a win, the Eagles will play for the WIAC Championship and a chance to advance to the NCAA Tournament on May 4, at 7:30 p.m.  

More information regarding the WIAC Tournament can be found on the WIAC website.