State representatives discuss budget proposal

Jenae Winter, Staff Reporter

Since the budget cut was proposed for the UW by Governor Scott Walker, there has been some unrest on UW campuses. In the Ward Room of Cartwright Center Feb. 13, a meeting specifically about the concerns for the new budget proposal took place with a panel of some of Wisconsin’s representatives. All hailing from the Democratic Party, the four members present were State Representatives Jill Billings, Steve Doyle, and Chris Danou, as well as State Senator Jennifer Shilling.
All of the representatives have the goal of keeping the value of the great education that UW-L gives its students. They showed uneasiness over the direction that UW system schools have been heading in for a long time, wanting to keep the prestige that the name holds. Because of these events, it was mentioned that many Wisconsinites are opting to go to out of state schools, specifically Minnesota. However, the largest portion of worry was over the consequences that could be in the future because of the three million dollar budget cut.
“Madison is talking about layoffs already in April,” Doyle stated with concern, implying that cuts to university faculty is the first route that many schools are taking in order to save money.
Among the audience, which consisted of a number of professors, there were concerns about hiring new teachers.
“I think, quite frankly, we need to be blunt and honest with people,” Danou said. “People complain about excessive partisanship. That’s not the problem; apathy is the problem.”
Billings added to this comment saying, “Do not underestimate the power of your voice,” referring to college students who believe they might not be able to change anything about the situation.
All four were quite adamant about students taking action, as the changes to tuition effect them directly. They urged all present to spread the word of writing to their local congressmen.
“You have an obligation to future generations,” Doyle said.
Some positives of the new budget proposal, as were discussed at the panel, could be that universities will have more flexibility with contracts, but the largest part that will be effected is the tuition students have to pay in order to attend school.
“There’s disagreement on both sides of the aisle over this,” Billings stated. “I see some give and take and some changes in the future.”
The debate over this budget cut is not close to being over; the outcome is still unseen. However, what was indeed made clear at this panel, is that students should inform themselves and others on this topic and take action.