“Social Justice Week” challenges perceptions and breaks stereotypes

Stephanie Koss, Senior Reporter

Social Justice Week: Pursuing Social Justice in Changing Contexts was held on campus from Monday, April 4 to Friday, April 8. The week provided many different types of events, all with the goal of promoting awareness for various social justice issues, especially ones that are predominant on the UW-La Crosse campus.

There were several different categories of events that were held throughout the week. Among some of them were brown bag lunches, research sessions, roundtable sessions, panels and plenary speakers.

Some of the social justice issues and topics that were explored during these events include racism, white privilege, rape on college campuses, age discrimination, marginalization, diversity and underprivileged children.

Dr. Laurie Cooper Stoll, Assistant Professor of Sociology and Founding Director for the Institute of Social Justice, was the major coordinator for Social Justice Week.

“The purpose of Social Justice Week is to bring together faculty, staff, students, and community members to learn about social justice issues and ways to address them. The most important ways that students will benefit is by raising their awareness of social justice issues and learning specific ways they can bring their own unique talents and abilities to bear on addressing these issues,” said Dr. Cooper Stoll.

She also notes that of the social justice issues that are occurring on campus, racism, sexism, homophobia and ableism are among some of the most prevalent.

UW-L Junior Michelle Chester also had some interesting things to say regarding the social justice issues that are the most commonly seen on the UW-L campus.

“I would have to say that racism and sexism are some of the more prevalent issues that I’ve seen. However, there are many other social justice issues that are occurring that many may not think about, such as the stigma and alienation surrounding mental illness and students with disabilities,” said Chester.

Chester also went further with this idea and provided some interesting insight into some of the feelings that students have surrounding social justice topics.

“I think a lot of the times when people hear about social justice issues, many are turned away from it or think that it doesn’t apply to them. I think having a social justice week on campus can bring many types of people together and all of these different issues can be brought to light by the contribution of these different people. These topics are uncomfortable to talk about at times, but these events are largely geared at those who don’t think they’re happening. Awareness needs to be raised,” continued Chester.

Dr. Stoll said that she hopes Social Justice Week becomes an annual event at UW-L and that all people can benefit from attending just one event during the week. The event drew upwards of 600 people by just the middle of the week from all around the La Crosse area.

She also urged anyone who is interested in getting more involved with these topics or wants to help promote awareness to contact her. She can be reached at [email protected]. UW-L’s Social Justice Institute’s homepage can be viewed at http://www.uwlax.edu/social-justice/.