Spooktacular outfits

Kasey Overgaard, Staff Reporter

It’s getting darker earlier, the leaves are falling and “Hocus Pocus” has already made its annual television appearance, which can only mean one thing: Halloween is just around the corner.
The quick approach of Halloween means trying to find a costume that tops last year’s getup. Halloween has seen it all, from duct tape dresses to men in tights, so originality can be hard to find. Halloween Express and Huffingtonpost.com shed light on Halloween costumes trending this year and may help to get the juices flowing for more ideas.
Robb Heilmann, owner of Halloween Express located in Onalaska, said that their highest sales this year for college students, so far, have been mostly police and pirate costumes for both men and women alike.
“Couples costumes where the girl dresses as the cop and the boy dresses as the prisoner are very popular,” said Heilmann.
Heilmann said zombies, “Reno 911’s” Lieutenant Dangle’s uniform and even Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have been popular, as well.
Movies and TV shows have always proven to be trendy Halloween costumes in the past.
UW-L junior Collin Jahnke said, “Characters from movies and shows always bring life to the party, I feel like, and they always grab my attention.”
Some movies and TV shows trending this year include “Frozen,” “22 Jump Street,” “The Hunger Games,” “Annabelle,” “Guardians of the Galaxy” and “The Hobbit.” Popular TV shows include “Orange is the New Black,” “The Walking Dead,” “American Horror Story,” “Game of Thrones” and “Modern Family.” The list goes on.
Don’t be afraid to bring back the classics, either, like “Edward Scissorhands,” “The Breakfast Club” and “Star Wars.” People love a good throwback, these days.
“Oldies can be goodies, too,” said Jahnke.
Besides TV show and movie characters, memorable events and famous moments of the year can be entertaining costumes, as well.
Huffingtonpost.com listed off a few moments that “scream 2014.”
Among these are the ice bucket challenge, a tribute to Robin Williams, the Oscar Selfie and, most recently, the iPhone 6.
The Oscar Selfie, featuring Ellen DeGeneres, Brad Bitt, Jennifer Lawrence and more, can work great as a group costume, which are consistently popular for college students.
UW-L junior Molly Barbeau said, “It’s more fun to dress up with your friends.”
There are many different group costumes available out there. Besides movie and TV characters, everything from the Three Blind Mice to the Mario Cart characters on bikes with balloons attached to the back can be seen this year. Search “group Halloween costumes” on Pinterest.com to find endless clever group costume ideas.
A lot of the costumes listed can be bought, but many can be homemade, as well. Homemade costumes can be cheaper, but even so, Halloween Express and Party City have a selection of accessories to complete an outfit and pull it all together.
If the juices aren’t flowing yet, check out Pinterest.com for more great ideas or visit the local Halloween stores to see what else is new this year.