The student news source of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse

The Racquet Press

The Racquet Press

The Racquet Press

UW Board of Regents pass diversity, equity and inclusion deal with Wisconsin Legislature

Image+retrieved+from+the+Milwaukee+Journal+Sentinel.+
Image retrieved from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Earlier today, Wednesday, Dec. 13, The Universities of Wisconsin (UW) Board of Regents reconsidered and voted in favor of a resolution that incorporated the requirements of Wisconsin Assembly Speaker, Robin Vos and other members of the Wisconsin Legislature. On Saturday, Dec. 9, the vote failed 9-8, but today the vote passed 11-6. 

Regents who switched their vote from Saturday include Karen Walsh, Amy Blumenfeld Bogost and Jennifer Staton. 

Other Regents who voted in favor of the resolution were Robert Atwell, Héctor Colón, Mike Jones, Jim Kreuser, Cris Peterson, Ashok Rai, Mark Tyler and Kyle Weatherly. 

Regents who voted against the resolution were Angela Adams, Evan Brenkus, Edmund Manydeeds, John Miller, Joan Prince and Dana Wachs. 

Under the newly approved deal: 

• The UW System will be required to stop hiring new administrators and DEI employees for three years. 
  • The UW System will eliminate diversity statements in its application processes. 
  • UW-Madison will create a position for an endowed chair focused on conservative thought. 
  • UW-Madison will not renew its Target of Opportunity program at the end of the academic year. 
  • UW-Madison must admit students who apply and have placed in the top 5% of their class, and all other UW System universities must enroll students who apply and are in the top 10% of their class.

In return, the UW System will receive: 

• Pay increases for about 35,000 employees that must be approved no later than Dec. 31.
  • Approval of the UW System’s workforce development plan, a plan that would fund the establishment of new degree programs in fields such as engineering, nursing, business and finance.
  • Passage of a new Minnesota reciprocity agreement that would direct the difference between what students from Minnesota pay in tuition compared with Wisconsin students to the UW System. 
  • About $740 million for building projects such as the new engineering building for the UW-Madison. 

The Racquet Press will update this article as new information is presented.