“Down to Earth”

Count down to Earth Week Film Festival in full swing

Laura Berry, Guest Reporter

Most of us have heard of Earth Day before. For me, it brings back memories of planting bean seeds in milk cartons and reading picture books about growing gardens in elementary school. As I got older it meant going on community walks to clean up trash uncovered by rapidly melting snow. These special events were short lived, only occurring one day each year– April 22 to be exact. However in recent years there has been a growing trend. As inhabitants of Earth, we are beginning to realize the importance of the caring for the planet we call home. We need every day to be Earth Day. Though these are great words to live by, having one day a year to pay a special tribute to the Earth doesn’t hurt! But why settle for a day of celebrations when you could have a whole week? That’s the idea behind Earth Week which takes place annually on campus during the week surrounding Earth Day. This year from April 20-24th Students for Sustainability along with other organizations, will be putting on a variety of events free to the public.
What are you doing to prepare for Earth Week? If you’re like me, you have enough going on– you can’t think about Earth Week on top of school work, jobs, and extra-curriculars. No worries! Students for Sustainability has you covered with their annual Count Down to Earth Week Film Festival. For the next three weeks, you will have the opportunity to see a recently released movie that will be screened in 1309 Centennial Hall at 7 p.m. The topics range from exploring the widely unknown cause of climate change to innovative products created by college students to help people struggling with poverty.
I was in the audience on Wednesday March 25 to see the first film to kick of the series: Cowspiracy. This documentary revealed the huge impact livestock has on the environment kept me engaged from the opening scene to the closing remark. I’m already looking forward to see the next film in the series, Just Eat It, which follows the journey of a couple who pledge to live off food waste after discovering the staggering amount of good food that is thrown away each year. Stay tuned to all the eye-opening films that are lined up in the Count Down to Earth Week Film Series and be inspired!
All screenings are at 7 p.m. in 1309 Centennial Hall UW-L and are free to the public.

March 25          Cowspiracy
March 31          Just Eat It
April 8              Urbanized
Apirl 16            Extream By Design
April 20            Virunga

A special thanks to other sponsors: Environmental Studies Minor, Philosophy Club, Campus Activities Board, Green Fund

What’s Happening This Week:

The Attacking Ocean with author Brian Fagan
When: 7 to 8 p.m. Thursday, April 2
Where: Auditorium, Graff Main Hall

Katie Wirsing: Poet. Activist. Life Lover.
When: 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 7
Where: Port O’ Call, Cartwright Center-Gunning Addition

Count Down To Earth Week Film Festival: Urbanized
When: 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 8
Where: 1309 Centennial Hall

LIVEMAROON: Cultivating a creative and healthy workplace
When: 10 to 11 a.m. Thursday, April 9
Where: 339 Cartwright Center

1, 2, 3 Thursday: Adelee & Gentry
When: 6 p.m. Thursday, April 9
Where: The Cellar, Cartwright Center