Getting jazzy with UW-L Vocal Ensembles

Alexandra Ronnestrand, Staff Reporter

UW-La Crosse has been known for its extensive liberal arts programs.  The music department, in particular, has delivered wonderful performances time and time again.  The bands, choirs, jazz and orchestra ensembles are always dependable sources of entertainment.  

The upcoming concerts performed by the three Vocal Jazz Ensemble groups, the Collegiates, Maroon and Gray and La Cappella, provide thrilling music for everyone’s enjoyment.  One of the members of Vocal Jazz Ensemble III, La Cappella, sat down with to talk more about the group and its performances.  

Karlie Kiel, a sophomore majoring in theatre design and minoring in music, has always been musically involved.  She is currently in the Concert Choir and La Cappella vocal group.  A step aside from traditional concert choir, Kiel enjoys the movement and flow of the vocal jazz ensemble group.  

“I love that it’s really jazzy,” Kiel stated.  

She raved that the practices and performances are full of energy and liveliness.  Director Dr. Gary Walth has been essential to the female vocalist group.  He trains the girls while also looking after their well-being, making sure that nodes, a common vocalist injury, do not become a problem.  Kiel and the other members love the fun that Walth brings to everyone.  

“Dr. Walth is awesome.  He’s funny, he picks good songs, he’s helpful, he’s not mean or overbearing,” stated Kiel.

She also informed that Walth and the group know when to be serious to get things done.  What separates the La Cappella vocal jazz ensemble from the Collegiates and Maroon and Gray is that, unlike the other two groups, which include male vocalists and more instruments, La Cappella is more a cappella based.  The concerts are not only full of spunk and jazzy tones, but Kiel talked about how there are more characterizations in the singers’ faces and that everyone, including the audience, really gets into it.  

For their upcoming concert this Sunday at 8:30, the vocalists are including a bass player for one of their numbers.  La Cappella are also trying to incorporate more stomping and claps to their performances for added effect.  The all-female vocalist group sings jazz music with few instruments that create an upbeat, cool, energetic and, of course, jazzy atmosphere that everyone is sure to be entertained by.  

Also performing on Sunday are the other two vocal jazz ensemble groups that also employ an array of instruments suited to their harmonized vocals.  The Collegiates are an all-male vocalist group that deliver low, soothing sounds to accompany their tunes.  The Maroon and Gray vocal jazz ensemble group are a mix of both male and female jazz singers for a blend of sounds incorporated by both genders.  With a different and pronounced sound from each group, an audience member could not be disappointed in watching any of these strong vocal jazz ensembles.