Down to Earth: The rise of “Earth Day”

Laura Berry, Guest Reporter

In 1970, environmental awareness had hit an all time low. Factories turned the air into smog over cities. Oil spills created a dense scum over ocean waters. Pesticides were dumped on plants as liberally as water. And the worst part? Few people realized the havoc that we were wreaking on the earth. True, there were a few “hippies” out there protesting the rapidly deteriorating environment, but no one seemed to be listening.

No one except Gaylord Nelson.

Nelson was a U.S. Senator from Wisconsin who saw what was happening to the natural environment and had the determination to do something about it. In 1970 Nelson proposed an idea for a “national teach-in on the environment.” After getting Congressman Pete McCloskey and Harvard student Denis Hayes on board, the first Earth Day began to take shape.

April 22, 1970 was selected as the first official Earth Day because it fell between Spring Break and final exams. This was a movement supported by all ages, but the younger generations truly embraced the idea of Earth Day. These twenty-something’s had so much life ahead of them and wanted to see the environment sustained. These students also had the energy to organize massive rallies and protests that spread across the U.S. like wildfire. On that first Earth Day, nearly 20 million Americans joined forces to promote creating a healthy sustainable environment.

As a result of that historic day, the U.S. Environmental Agency was born and a series of acts were passed to enforce policies that decreased air and water pollution as well as increased protection of endangered species. Earth Day has become not only nationally recognized, but globally recognized, reaching 141 countries. Earth Day is a great reminder of how we should live our life everyday, thinking of how our decisions will impact the natural world and the generations to come.

Green Tip of the Week

Celebrate Earth Day by taking a hike in the bluffs and appreciating our regions natural beauty. Don’t forget to bring your garbage bag so you can pick up trash along the way. Improve the view for the next person and do your part to restore the beauty of the area.